DUWAYR AL-, village south of ASYUT and site of excavations in 1914 carried out by Claudius Labib that brought to light a necropolis of the Ptolemaic and Byzantine period. Several STELAE were found, two of which mention a list similar to those of Saqqara or Bawit, and name the famous triad of these monasteries: Apollo, Anub, and Phib (see Munier, 1922, pp. 49-59).
In a nearby valley two Greek inscriptions have been found on the walls of a cave and a tomb, which appear to reveal monastic occupation (Ahmad Kamal, 1902, pp. 32-35, and Lefebvre, 1907, p. 45, nos. 235, 236).
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.