DOMINICANS IN EGYPT. In 1928-1932 the Dominican friars founded a convent in the Abbasiyyah district of Cairo, where they started to form a library around which, in 1953, they established the Dominican Institute of Oriental Studies. It was opened to both Coptic and Muslim scholars under the directorship of G. C. Anawati. Born into a Christian family in Egypt, Anawati distinguished himself as a specialist in Muslim thought and Arab culture and civilization. He participated with the Copts in the organization of the ecumenical movement. Numerous Dominicans of that convent such as de Beaurecueil and Ibrahim Khouzam have fought for the reinstatement of the Coptic rite in the liturgy offered to their followers.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.