DAYR YUHANNIS (Al-Minshah). On the right bank of the Nile, about 6 miles (10 km) south of DAYR ANBA BISADAH, and hence of the town of al-Minshah (the ancient Psoi/Ptolemais Hermiou), are the ruins of a village, a necropolis, and a Coptic monastery named for Saint John. A little farther to the south, in the quarries at the foot of the Jabal Tukh, some Coptic inscriptions indicate that hermits lived there. Some invoke among others an Apa Johannes; one may consult Morgan and Bouriant (1894, pp. 370-1) and Sayce (1908, p. 18). More recent excavations are described by Klemm (1979, pp. 103-40).
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.