DAYR AL-MALAK MIKHA’IL (Maraghah). ABU SALIH THE ARMENIAN (1895, p. 257) mentioned a monastery dedicated to the archangel MICHAEL near the town of al-Maraghah. Al-Idrisi (Vol. 1, p. 124) knew a town of this name near Antinoë (ANTINOOPOLIS), but the State of the Provinces in A.H. 777/A.D. 1375 placed it as it is now, in the district of Suhaj. It was then called al-Maraghat (cf. Ramzi, 1953-1968 Vol. 2, pt. 4, p. 24). The name appears to be Arabic, not Egyptian (Gauthier, 1905, pp. 75-76). Al-Maqrizi (1853, Vol. 2, p. 519) noted a church there, but did not say to which saint it was dedicated.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.