DAYR AL-GHANAYIM. The ruins of this monastery occupy a position similar to ‘AYN ‘AMUR, on the eastern edge of the depression of the oasis of Khargah, but near the caravan track linking the oasis to Jirja, in the valley of the Nile. Situated 1.25 miles (2 km) to the north of Jabal Umm al-Ghanayim and 17 miles (26 km) to the southeast of the necropolis of al-BAGAWAT, they are probably the remains of a Roman fortress that was later occupied by Christian hermits, as the numerous graffiti bear witness (de Bock, 1898, pp. 67-68; Legrain, 1897, pp. 207-208; Vercoutter, 1977, p. 280). Meinardus presents the site in his Christian Egypt (1965; pp. 345-66; 1977, pp. 487-88).
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.