DAYR AL-AMIR TADRUS (Luxor). This small monastery is situated on the stony part of the left bank of the Nile, opposite the town of Luxor, at the foot of the Libyan Mountains about 550 yards (500 m) from Madinat Habu. It perhaps occupies the site, famous in the Middle Ages, of a church dedicated to the same saint, Theodore (Winlock and Crum, 1926, Vol. 1, pp. 5, 177).
However that may be, the present buildings are modern. The oldest witness appears to be Lepsius (1852, p. 259) who spoke of it at some length but called it that of Saint Donadeus. It was also mentioned by S. Clarke (1912, p. 216, no. 6), who also gave the plan of the church (p. 116, pl. 34, frankly incomplete).
The church and the neighboring cemetery for a long time served the Christians of the region. It was to the priest who ministered to this church that the manuscript of the Synaxarion from Upper Egypt belonged (Coquin, 1978).
Meinardus (1965, p. 319; 1977, p. 433) gave a good description of its modern state. About 1980 some nuns attempted to revive the
monastic life there.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.