DAQAHLAH, village in Egypt located in the northeast part of the Delta about 5.5 miles (8.5 km) south of Fariskur in the province of
The first reference to Daqahlah in Christian-Arabic literature is in the HISTORY OF THE PATRIARCHS where it is related that a great famine afflicted Egypt in the first years of Moorish rule in the tenth century. Many towns that were without a bishop because of the
depopulation of the land had to be joined to episcopal sees that were still occupied. In addition, colophons in two tenth-century Coptic
manuscripts attest to the presence of Christians in Daqahlah at this early date. The name of the town also appears in a medieval Copto-
Arabic list of Egyptian bishoprics (Munier, 1943, pp. 49-55).
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.