ASHMUN TANAH, the ancient name of an Egyptian town now known as Ashmun al-Rumman in the province of Daqahliyyah. It is located in the eastern Delta in the district of Dikirnis, about 2.5 miles (4 km) east of Dikirnis and about 25 miles (40 km) southwest of Dumyat (Damietta). In Coptic documents the name of the town appears as smoun erman (Schmoun Erman). Despite the fact that the town existed as early as the Byzantine period and was even the seat of a bishop, its Greek name is not known.
A story in the SYNAXARION for 10 Misra about Bishop Apa Colluthos (Anba Kaluj), Apa Philippus (Anba Filibbus), and Johannes, residents of Ashmun Tanah? who were apprehended and martyred for their profession of the Christian faith, attests to the presence of a Christian congregation in Ashmun Tanah at least as early as the great persecution of DIOCLETIAN.
Ancient sources indicate that Ashmun Tanah became a Coptic bishopric no later than the end of the thirteenth century. Bishop Mark from Ashmun and Dumyat was present at the election of the patriarch JOHN VIII in 1300 (Lantschoot, 1932, p. 229). Mark's successor as bishop was named Peter (Munier, 1943, p. 39).
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.