YACOBOS II, archbishop of Jerusalem (1946-1956). He was born in the village of al-Muti‘ah in 1908. In 1939 he resigned from the civil service and entered the CLERICAL COLLEGE in Cairo, from which he graduated in 1942. He joined the Monastery of Saint Antony (DAYR ANBA ANTUNIYUS), where he took the name Salib al-Antuni. In 1944 he was ordained a priest and was promoted to HEGUMENOS in 1945. During the following year, he became deputy of the archbishop of al-Balyana and remained in this post until he was consecrated archbishop of the See of Jerusalem and the Near East in September 1946. The see consisted of Jerusalem, the Sinai, Palestine, and all other countries of the Near East.
In 1946, Yacobos built a road along the Jordan River with shelters for Coptic pilgrims. He also established a farm on the bank of the river and a monastery on a piece of land nearby given to the patriarchate in the time of THEOPHILUS I. He inaugurated the Coptic Antonian Church in Jerusalem in 1947, where Christian children study. In the same year, he opened another church at Rafah in Sinai.
The next year, the Palestinian war of 1948 broke out. As a result of this war, many Coptic families deserted their homes in Haifa, Jaffa, and other towns, taking refuge in the Coptic Patriarchate in Jerusalem and in various monasteries. With so many refugees to look after, the see was strained financially. The situation was worsened both by the interruption of the flow of Coptic pilgrims and by the loss of the large orchards of the Coptic monastery in Jaffa, whose fruit provided revenue for the expenses of monasteries, churches, and other activities.
In 1949 he laid the foundation stone of the Coptic church in Nazareth. Four years later, the archbishop inaugurated the Coptic College of the Martyr Sitt Dimyanah in Jerusalem and initiated the building of the Coptic Orthodox cathedral in East Qantarah. Yacobos died in a train accident on 22 March 1956.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.