TBOW (District of Nag Hammadi). In the Lives of PACHOMIUS it is related that a certain Petronius, a native of Pjoj, founded a monastery on an estate belonging to his parents at Tbow, then attached himself to the Pachomian community. The text specifies that Pjoj was in the nome of Hou (today Hiw), on the left bank of the Nile. It is more than probable that Tbow was not far from Pjoj; it was certainly a farm or small hamlet of which there is no trace.
The precise location of Pjoj is difficult to establish. W. E. Crum (1939, p. 799a) advances the hypothesis that it was the present village of Abu Tisht, 8 miles (13 km) northwest of Farshut, but L. T. Lefort (1943, pp. 402-403) thinks that it is the village of Abu Shushah, almost 4 miles (6 km) north of Abu Tisht; J. Cerny puts forward the same opinion (1976, p. 351).
Unfortunately, no archaeological traces survive.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.