TAKINASH (Bani Suef), a monastery mentioned several times in the Life of SAMU’IL OF QALAMUN. Driven from Scetis by the envoy of Cyrus, the Chalcedonian archbishop of Alexandria, Samu’il withdrew with his disciples to the south, to the mountain of Takinash. After being delivered from the bedouin who had taken him prisoner, he founded Qalamun with some brothers who had come from the mountain (monastery) "of Takinash" (see Alcock, 1983, index).
A Coptic papyrus from the Fayyum mentions "the expenses from the feast of Takinash" (Crum, 1893, no. 45v).
At the entrance of a track leading to al-Qalamun, G. Daressy noted a hod (basin) called Diqnash, west of the village of Mazurah, 7.5 miles (12 km) south of Dashashah.
The present dependency of the monastery of Saint Samuel is near the village of al-Zawarah, west of Maghagha (Meinardus, 1st ed., pp. 255-56; 2nd ed., p. 359; see Amélineau, 1895, p. 121).
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.