SHAYKH HASAN, AL-, ancient quarries situated on the right bank of the Nile, opposite and a little to the south of the town of Matay. The Greek inscriptions with their lists of fathers were first mentioned by G. Wilkinson (1843, Vol. 2, pp. 24-31), then by travel guides (Murray, Isambert, Johanne), and incompletely published by G. Lefebvre (1907, nos. 114-16).
In addition to these inscriptions, the site includes some arrangements and symbols that reveal occupation by Christian hermits: niches on eastern walls for prayer, mortises for hanging lamps, engraved ankhs, graffiti representing barks like those that have been found at Abydos (Piankoff, 1960, pp. 37-144), at Isna (Sauneron and Jacquet, 1972, Vol. 1, p. 79), or at the KELLIA (Mission suisse, p. 21).
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.