SHANASHA, town in the Delta province of Daqahliyyah.
PSHOI OF SCETIS was born in Shanasha in the second half of the fourth century. The place was a bishopric from the middle of the thirteenth century at the latest until at least the beginning of the fourteenth century. The patriarch GABRIEL III (1268-1271) ordained a man named Peter as bishop of Shanasha and later this Peter, as the oldest bishop in northern Egypt, ordained Patriarch Theodosius II (1294-1300). Peter was present as bishop of Shanasha, Sandub, Tandata, and Samannud in 1299 and again in 1305 at the consecration of the holy chrism (see CHRISM) in Cairo.
There are no other references to Shanasha in Coptic-Arabic Christian literature, but the Coptic life of Patriarch ISAAC (686-689) relates that Isaac baptized a number of men and women in a place called in Coptic Psanasho. The account, however, provides no information about the location of the town (Porcher, 1915, p. 357). Nonetheless, the similarity of the names led E. Amélineau to identify this Psanasho with Shanasha (1893, pp. 373-74). While there is nothing that counts against this identification, the evidence that would verify it is also wanting.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.