SAKHA, town located in the northern Delta of Egypt about 1.5 miles (2 km) south of Kafr al-Shayk in the Gharbiyyah province. The town was known in Greek as XÒij (Xois) and in Coptic as cekoou (Sekoou).
A reference in one of ATHANASIUS' letters to the bishop of Sakha makes it clear that the town became a bishopric no later than the first half of the fourth century (Munier, 1943, p. 10).
Among the few references to Sakha in Coptic martyrological literature for the period prior to 640 are the following: In its commemoration of JOHN COLOBOS on 20 Babah the SYNAXARION mentions an Anba Bamwayh from Sakha. The festival calendar of Abu al-Barakat IBN KABAR commemorates a Bishop Muna of Sakha on 15 Abib.
There is a Coptic church in Sakha, the age of which is not known.
[See also: Zacharias, Bishop of Sakha.]
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.