QAYS, AL-, city located in Middle Egypt on the west side of the Nile about 4 miles (6 km) southwest of Bani Mazar in Minya Province. In Greek it was called Kynopolis ano (Upper Kynopolis). The SYNAXARION commemorates the martyrdom of Bisadah (Psoi) from al-Qays on 24 Tubah. Records indicate that the city was a bishopric in the Middle Ages. A bishop Maqarah of al-Qays attended a synod held in Cairo in 1078, and a bishop Butrus from the city was present at the preparation of the holy CHRISM in 1299 (Munier, 1943, pp. 27, 36).
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.