ABIB IBN NASR. A deacon in Cairo, Abib worked as a copyist between 1756 and 1767, both in Coptic and in Arabic, for the archon NASIM ABU SA‘D IBN ‘ABD AL-SAYYID and the priest al-Khazayini.
He is known from three manuscripts of the Coptic Museum of Cairo: (1) A large lectionary in Coptic for the month of Amshir (Liturgy 317 [123 fols., 32 21 cm]; Graf, no. 689; Simaykah, Vol. 2, no. 228), completed on 1 Bashans A.M. 1472/7 May 1756, on commission from Nasim abu Sa‘d. The subscription (fol. 363) informs us that this lectionary is the third part of a lectionary for the second trimester of the Coptic year. (2) Another large lectionary in Arabic (Liturgy 320 [243 fols., 29.5 21 cm]; Graf, no. 691; Simaykah, Vol. 2, no. 232) for the weekdays of the first three months of the Coptic year (Tut, Babah, Hatur), completed on 20 Tubah A.M. 1474/26 January 1758, on commission from Nasim abu Sa‘d. (3) A smaller lectionary (Liturgy 52 [115 fols., 28 18 cm]; Graf, no. 70; Simaykah, Vol. 2, no. 236) in Arabic, for the fifty days following Easter. It was completed on 23 Baramhat A.M. 1483/30 March 1767, on commission from the priest al-Khazayini, who bequeathed it to the Church of the Virgin of Harit Zuwaylah.
KHALIL SAMIR, S. J.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.