MINUF AL-‘ULYAH, old Arabic name of a city in the Western Delta now known simply as Minuf. Located in the province of Minufiyyah, the city lies about 15 miles (24 km) west of Banha. Minuf al-‘Ulyah was known in Greek as ” Onoqfij (Onothphis) and in Coptic as anoufe or onoufe.
Minuf al-‘Ulyah was a bishopric by the middle of the fourth century as evidenced by the attendance of Bishop Adelphios of Onouphis at a synod in Alexandria in 362 (Munier, 1943, p. 8). Though we cannot be certain because there are some periods for which we have no records, it appears that the city has had a bishop for most of the time since that century. The seat of the present bishop of Minuf al-‘Ulyah is Shibin al-Kom, located about 8 miles (about 13 km) northeast of the city.
Saint Abraham (see ABRAHAM OF MINUF) was from Minuf al-‘Ulyah as was the martyr Simeon (see SAINTS, COPTIC), who was put to death in the Arabic period.
There is still a Coptic church in Minuf, the construction date of which is unknown.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.