MINYA, city located on the west bank of the Nile in Middle Egypt and the capital of the province of Minya. The city was known in Coptic as tmwn/ (Tmone). Before the late nineteenth century, Minya was known in Arabic as Bani Khasib after al-Khasib ibn ‘Abd al-Hamid, the financial administrator of Harun al-Rashid. The city was a bishopric by the early fourteenth century, as evidenced by the attendance of a Bishop Yusab of Minya at the preparation of the holy CHRISM in 1330 (Munier, 1943, p. 40).
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.