MAHALLAT MINUF, a town in the Egyptian Delta about 7 miles (11 km) north of Tanta, in the Gharbiyyah province. The town was previously known in Arabic as Minuf al-Sufla, in Greek as Onouphis kato, and in Coptic as panouf qat (Panouf khat). Though ancient and medieval sources preserve no descriptions or accounts of Christians, churches, or bishops in Mahallat Minuf, the fact that the town is listed in the medieval Coptic-Arabic scalae and in the roster of Egyptian bishoprics suggests that it had a significant Coptic community by the early Middle Ages (Munier, 1943, pp. 46, 53).
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.