‘AMRIYYAH (Maryut), a towering site close to the Mediterranean coast west of Alexandria now occupied only by bedouins. In Kom Abu Dri‘ah (formerly called al-Kurum al-Tuwal) situated about 8 miles (12 km) south of ‘Amriyyah, numerous ancient capitals and pillars lie about on the ground even to this day.
During excavations carried out in 1929, remains of a small, three-aisled, pillared church were found with a narthex, baptistery, and access to the roof. It had no return aisle. The sanctuary was destroyed. The excavators dated the building from the sixth to the seventh century A.D. Another interesting complex in the area of Kom Abu Dri‘ah is an underground early Christian tomb standing below what was probably a three-aisled, above-ground structure.
A second group of ruins to the north of ‘Amriyyah is called al-Dayr by the inhabitants and, according to O. Meinardus (1965, p.136), is to be identified with the OKTOKAIDEKATON monastery mentioned in early Christian sources.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.