KOM AL-RAHIB, village about 6 miles (10 km) northwest of SAMALUT. The ruins of a large monastery containing a garden of palm trees, a cistern, a church, and monks' cells have been discovered there (Johnson, 1910-1911, p. 13).
In the neighborhood, an ancient cemetery has yielded up a very fine funerary STELA (Arif, 1906, pp. 113-14).
M. Ramzi (1953-1954, 1963, Vol. 2, pt. 3, p. 236) identifies Kom al-Rahib with the ancient Pergoush and the Dayr Anba Bakhum, but there is nothing to support this identification.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.